10/16/2013

Hierro: I played on until 37 with a disc bulge

Fernando Hierro has weighed in on the media frenzy surrounding Gareth Bale's fitness: "He had an unusual pre-season as his move wasn't sealed until the last minute. It's easy to judge and make decisions from the outside, but it is up to the club, the coach and the medical team to do so, armed with the medical and fitness data available".
"If they decide to let him play, then it will be because they think he's fit, otherwise they must feel he needs more time"
Hierro also admitted to having coped with a disc bulge during his career: "Every patient is unique. I had one and played on until I was 37. In fact, after 18 years as a pro, I can still enjoy spending time with my friends and playing football without having to go under the knife".
On a different note, the former no-nonsense centre-back discussed the Ballon d'Or: "I would give it to a Spaniard. That's something I wish had happened over the last five years, in which Spain won the World Cup and the Euros and [our] clubs have been champions of Europe... Spanish football has deserved it".
"That aside, whether to give it to Messi, Ronaldo or Ribéry is very much a matter of taste. But it's an award with unwritten rules; it's up to the whims of coaches and the media", he went on.
Categories:

Follow Us

0 comments:

Post a Comment